Josh Scheinman: Sports videography

In freshman year, Josh Scheinman enrolled in video production at Gunn, marking the beginning of his filmmaking journey.

“I wasn’t very good at it at first, but I just kept taking videos because it was becoming more and more interesting (to me),” Scheinman said. “Plus, I had nothing to do at home. The more I made, the more fun I had, so I just kept on going with it.”

Though Scheinman is probably best known around Gunn for his sports videography, his first works were private documentaries about his father and grandmother. His third documentary was Scheinman’s first public splash in the filmmaking pond.

“My neighbor is a really good skateboarder, so I took a bunch of footage of her and filmed some of her tricks,” he said. The documentary, “Skateboarding with Lara Botto,” was nominated in the 2023 Sports Story or Segment category of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ National Student Production Awards.

Alongside documentaries, Scheinman dabbles in narrative films.

“I created this short bike film with my friend, Pablo Schettino, which was really fun and that was inspired by the movie ‘Hot Rod,’” he said.

Scheinman’s other narrative films also draw inspiration from comedy movies.

“My brother sends me (movies) to watch a lot,” he said. “He’s hilarious. I definitely look up to him, and in a lot of ways, him and my family are what inspire me to create.”

Most recently, Scheinman has moved into the world of sports videography. He will continue exploring his passion at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, where he’ll be studying film and TV production. “

Originally, film school was a really hard thing for me to think about,” he said. “But what it came down to was this realization that, at the end of the day, (filmmaking) is my interest. It’s what I want to do in life.”