Fun holiday volunteer opportunities in the Bay Area: YCS booth at VA Craft Workshop

Graphic by Tiffany Chen

Every year at the Veteran Affairs (VA) Holiday Craft Workshop, veterans can make various arts and crafts items for their homes or for gifts. This year, the Gunn Youth Community Service (YCS)-Interact club will have a booth where veterans can make clothespin snowflake ornaments. According to YCS Palo Alto Youth Program Director Ashley Yee-Mazawa, club members will prepare the snowflake kits ahead of time in their weekly meetings and help out at the booth. Students not in the club are also welcome to volunteer at the booth during the event, which will be held Dec. 7 from 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Menlo Park division of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System.

According to YCS Club co-president senior Anushka Joshi, it is a wonderful volunteer experience. “It’s a really heartwarming holiday opportunity and a great way to give back to our community and honor veterans at the same time,” she wrote in a message. Sign up to volunteer for the event at tinyurl.com/ycsiholiday16 under Veteran’s Craft Fair.