December sports updates: Boys’ Water Polo

The boys celebrate after their home game win at CCS.

Written by Hayley Krolik

The boys’ water polo team lost in the CCS semifinals against St. Francis High School. However, the team still put up a good fight and has fond memories of the season. “It’s my third year coaching at Gunn so I’ve had a lot of these guys since they were freshmen,” coach Matt Johnson said. “They were very mature and knew what to expect.”

According to senior Christian Znidarsic, sophomore Jack Mallery set the tone for their first CCS game, scoring a goal to start off a smooth match. Mallery said that the team worked hard together. “It was so much fun to be with all the guys and play at our best level,” Mallery said.

The boys’ initial strategy was to score first to get the upper hand. While defensive tactics can be complicated, the team has learned a lot from the season. “In any big game situation, you always learn more how you respond to intense situations,” Znidarsic said. “You always have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone for the team.” Their hard work paid off—the team only let in four goals in the first three quarters of CCS semifinals.

Both Znidarsic and Mallery will miss playing with their teammates. “I learned how important teamwork is,” Mallery said. “Don’t blame anyone because you win and lose as a team.” The season ended on a high note—Znidarsic and his co-captain senior Calder Hilde-Jones won first team all-CCS as well as league co-MVPs, and Mallery won second team all-CCS.

Sophomore Jack Mallery sets up for a pass