Staffers face off in NBA Conference Finals predictions: San Antonio Spurs

Written by Eric Epstein

The San Antonio Spurs will dominate the 2017 NBA finals to spoil the third edition of Warriors vs. Cavaliers. The key to the Spurs’ success starts and ends with the emotionless basketball machine that is Kawhi Leonard. The two-time Defensive Player of the Year has stepped up his offensive game this season to solidify his position as the best two-way player in basketball. Being a top-five player across the entire league, the playoff-experienced Leonard undoubtedly has the capability to lead his team to an NBA championship. Lucky for him though, he will not be forced to win by himself. The Spurs have a very solid all-around roster, with emphasis on athleticism and defense. Lamarcus Aldridge creates a nightmare of a matchup in the post and Patty Mills provides playmaking and sharpshooting to keep defenses honest. The Spurs bench is filled out with the perfect mix of veteran experience such as Manu Ginobili and David Lee with young energy such as Jonathan Simmons and Dejounte Murray. The last component that makes the Spurs so dangerous in the postseason is their coach, Gregg Popovich. Popovich is one of the most successful NBA coach of all time, and has coached the third-most playoff games of all time. Having such a legendary and experienced coach is an invaluable asset that will prove to be a key factor once the San Antonio Spurs hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy in early June. Spurs in seven.

-Epstein, a sophomore, is the Business Manager