Fall athletes give insight into their sports

Girls Tennis

“The community of the team is very fun — I try to keep it very energetic. We (the tennis team) know each other so well, and being able to hit with each other and having fun playing out there (is great).”

—Mia Saad, 11

Girls Volleyball

“The upperclassmen are really supportive of the underclassmen, and all three teams are really supportive of one another: We all go to each other’s games and cheer each other on, and we do team dress-ups before games as a whole program instead of each team individually.”

—Celine Safa, 12

Girls Golf

“Golf, as opposed to team sports, really teaches you about yourself, and it’s more mentally (intense). You’re not playing against other people. You’re really playing against yourself.”

—Kira Kuartei, 11

Girls Water Polo

Girls Water Polo

“Water polo is one of the toughest sports both mentally and physically — and being part of a sport that forces you to push yourself really helps you grow as a person. We also have super fun dress-ups, a super good team atmosphere and everyone wants to work hard.”

—Ravina Nath, 12

Boys Water Polo

“For the past two years, we have won CCS (Central Coast Section) championships, which has been a great accomplishment for our team and Gunn athletics as a whole. Throughout the years, we (have) become really close as a community and team, and it is a great place to make friends and participate in a really fun sport.”

—Nadav Efrat, 12

Cross Country

“It’s a good way to stay fit and meet up with other people, and it’s really fun being able to compete against hundreds of people in meets.”

—Jake Seley, 12

Dance

“Dance team is a great place to meet new people and grow and learn dances together. Dance itself is very special because it’s not just a sport — it’s an art form as well. You can express (yourself).”

—Sophie Nam, 11

Cheer

“It’s just fun to be a part of a community. We also do a lot of different activities: We go to football games and basketball games, and we have our own competition. There’s a big variety of stuff that we do. It’s also a really fun way to be active.”

—Julia Hilding, 12

Girls Flag Football

“(I joined because) being able to start this program would be a really fun experience, and (it’s) an empowering idea. I think people should join so that we can actually get a prep for the sport. It’s a lot more fun than football because you don’t have to get tackled.”

—Jocelyn Lu, 10

Football

“(My favorite part of the football team is) the reward of playing games on Friday with my teammates. They’re all my friends, so I just hang out with them and spend time with them. I love my coaches too. They’re fun to be around.”

—Devin Sidhu, 12